REV Birmingham seeks City Center District Manager
Posted on Apr 23, 2018
Birmingham is enjoying a renaissance. #1 for Millennial Entrepreneurs. #1 Next Hot Food City. Top Ten for First Time Home Buyers.
Vacant buildings are being restored to their former glory and new businesses are moving in. New residents use bikeshare to shuttle from their lofts to work at biotech startups and back to brewery tasting rooms.
Are you passionate about urban redevelopment and livability? Do you want to play a leading role in the growing vibrancy of one of the South’s most important cities? Are you bold? Do you have the vision, know-how and collaborative skills to push our downtown to the leading edge?
REV Birmingham, a place-based economic development organization that creates vibrant commercial districts in Birmingham, Alabama, has an immediate opening for City Center District Manager.
The City Center District Manager proactively leads the community engagement and strategic planning for, and the implementation of, community-led revitalization strategies in Birmingham’s City Center Business Improvement District (BID). Working with REV Birmingham, which manages the administration of the City Center District Management Corporation, the City Center District Manager will: convene stakeholders; manage strategic planning projects; conduct and maintain assessments of private property occupancy, ownership and conditions; track community assets and needs; track district data; serve as project manager on implementation of strategic planning; solicit and coordinate the services of the City of Birmingham and other agencies; promote the district as a places of opportunity and investment. The Manager will proactively develop partnerships with business and property owners to engage with REV in order to build support and accomplish its mission in visible, tangible ways.
The District Manager is responsible for working with other REV staff to implement projects, programs and events that encourage revitalization. The Manager is expected to continually look for opportunities to leverage REV’s expertise and initiatives in districts for deep impact.
- Manage and implement REV’s day-to-day engagement in the City Center utilizing the principles of the Main Street Four-Point Approach™ (Organization, Design, Promotion, Economic Vitality) to accomplish street-level revitalization;
- Cultivate and maintain effective relationships with businesses, residents, property owners, public officials and community leaders in order to assess needs and develop community led strategies for addressing them;
- Work with REV leadership and outside experts to develop and implement smart, sustainable, short- and long-term strategies for building an office, retail, residential and lifestyle destination in the City Center based on market potential, demonstrated demand, demographics, and accurate trade area information;
- Liaise with and advocate to business, community and institutional partners, and governmental agencies to inform about district needs and address quality of life issues;
- Work with REV’s Director of Investor Relations to solicit additional funds via grants and other fundraising to support BID projects;
- Provide reporting for all meetings of the CCDMC and REV Boards of Directors;
- Serve as primary project manager on projects identified through strategic planning;
- Regularly assess, monitor and proactively address street-level infrastructure needs that affect the look and function of the district, including lighting, landscaping, trash, sidewalks, furniture; work with REV’s Catalytic Development Director to assess design deficiencies in the district and consult with business and property owners on curb appeal;
- Analyze and monitor the occupancy, ownership and condition of commercial spaces and any renovation work carried out in commercial cores, working with REV’s Catalytic Development Director; maintain current records of this data;
- Consult with business and property owners on assistance with property-specific needs, such as parking, licensing, infrastructure improvements, and design review in coordination with the Catalytic Development Director; work with city staff to comply with city regulations related to special events, street closures, etc.;
- Engage in business retention and recruitment efforts through frequent communication with business owners, relationship building and recognizing opportunities as the district grows; proactively connect stakeholders in commercial cores with REV’s Business Growth services as a means of strengthening the economic base of districts; work with the Director of Business Growth on the development and implementation of programs to promote growth of district businesses;
- Work with stakeholders, REV’s Director of Communications, and outside resources to design and implement district branding strategies; and marketing and promotional efforts, including campaigns and special events, that promote the unique assets of the district;
- Record individual contacts, clients and work in Salesforce and/or other applicable software or reports as a means of documenting work completed and maintaining a current and accurate contact database for REV;
- Perform other duties and assume other responsibilities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Minimum three years’ experience working in some combination of: government, public policy, real estate, economic development, business assistance, retail management, urban planning, marketing;
- Outgoing and friendly personality with superior verbal and written communications skills, using a thorough knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation rules;
- Knowledgeable, responsive and nice customer service ethos;
- Effective computer skills (Proficient in Windows and Outlook required; Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel experience required; Salesforce preferred);
- Energetic and passionate about commercial revitalization;
- Demonstrated community engagement skills and experience, including the ability to work with stakeholders with diverse experiences in order to maximize participation and to project a favorable image of the organization and its work;
- Demonstrated involvement in strategic planning;
- Demonstrated involvement in event planning;
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated project management skills and experience, including the ability to prioritize responsibilities, delegate tasks and efficiently manage time independently to accomplish a variety of duties;
- Demonstrated experience with research and report writing skills, with a focus on detail;
- Entrepreneurial and creative, with a strong team spirit;
- Ability to regularly make good decisions and exercise good judgment at all times, particularly when communicating with parties outside of REV; ability to practice an appropriate level of confidentiality.
- Financial management and budgeting, fundraising, public relations and marketing experience a plus;
- Experience with non-profit management, BIDs and boards of directors a plus;
Requires the physical mobility to sit and walk for moderate periods of time and to occasionally carry or lift objects weighing up to 40 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be provided as necessary;
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, business, political science, planning or similar field of study;
- Three or more years’ paid experience in one of the related fields above;
- Experience in a nonprofit, government or economic development setting preferred;
- Proven time management and organizational skills;
- Hard-working with a positive attitude and willingness to accomplish the task at hand;
- Ability to manage simultaneous tasks or projects while maintaining a team spirit;
- Ability to effectively work with a variety of people in a professional manner and project a favorable impression of the organization;
- Proficiency in typical office procedures and routines, and with office equipment;
- Flexibility to facilitate/ participate in meetings and events outside of core business hours (i.e. nights, weekends, etc.); and
- Valid driver’s license for traveling between local businesses, properties and other locations as necessary.
The statements contained above reflect general details as necessary to describe the essential functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skills required, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Please be advised that this document should not be construed, in any manner, as a contract of employment. All employees of REV Birmingham are employees “at-will”.
Please submit cover letter and resume by April 30 to Atticus Rominger, Chief Strategic Officer, at email@example.com. No phone calls please.